In the year I was born:
- The video game industry did not exist.
In the year I turned ten:
- We were halfway through the second generation of video game consoles.
- Modern games: Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Asteroids.
In the year I turned twenty:
- Most games were still in 2D.
- CD-ROM drives weren’t yet a thing and 70MB was considered spacious for a PC hard drive.
- Activision filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- Modern games: Super Mario Kart, Wolfenstein 3D, Mortal Kombat
In the year I turned thirty:
- Sega of America and Sega Europe discontinued support of the Dreamcast console.
- Modern games: Metroid Prime, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Grand Theft Auto III.
In the year I turned forty (sheesh):
- Nintendo kicked off the eighth generation of video game consoles with the release of the Wii U.
- Combined sales of Minecraft reached 17.5 million.
- The Metal Gear, Street Fighter and Mega Man franchises celebrated their 25th anniversary.
- A vocal minority of backwards, whining fuckheads continued to believe that women had no place in the video game industry.
- Modern games: Dishonored, Journey, The Walking Dead
What was new in video games in the year you were born?